Re: How to tell which distributor I have?

To: "Kevin Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: How to tell which distributor I have?
From: "griffco" <griffco@griffco.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:26:54 -0600
Hi Kevin,
    Isn't there a model number stamped on the body of the distributor?

Either  Delco and a number, or Lucas and a number.

 I seem to have a mongrel distributor also -  marked Lucas 43D4.  Came with
a '76 1500 engine for a Midget.  It has a vacuum advance thing on the
outside - however it is mounted in such a way that would make it a vacuum
retard (a feature I understand was used on some models.)  However on lifting
the inner plate, the advance rod is locked with a screw, and there is no
moving plate to 'advance' or 'retard' the spark.  Strange things done in
spitfires!

So the question becomes - which distributor should we have on our mongrel
motors?
Cheers, Fred