Re: Wheel stud upgrade

To: lvaughan@pldi.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel stud upgrade
From: WLSServ@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:10:52 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/2003 11:05:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lvaughan@pldi.net writes:

> I checked out the www.triumphspitfire.com site and found an article about
> this process. The stud used was some obscure Dorman 610-175. A 71-74
> Mercury
> Capri was referenced as no longer valid? An added comment referenced a
> Mercury Merkur stud.

Larry:

On another web site (don't remember which) you will find referenced a Wheel
Tite bolt P/N 28020.

I located these at the local Pep Boys, a few on the shelf, but plenty in the
warehouse, (according to them)

     Wheel Tite
     P/N 28020
     7/16" X 20
     Knurl Dia.  .525
     Shoulder. Len  9/16"
     O.A.L.  1 3/8"
     Packaged at Motormite Mfg. Div of R&B, Inc
     P.O. Box 1800
     Colmar, PA 18915-1800
           (in 1992)

Some grinding of the head for wheel cylinder clearance may be required
(rear).

I chose to go with 12mmX1.5, 13.15 knurl, L-43 shoulder 11 (all mm) found in
NAPA's picture catalog P/N 641-3128, with chrome acorn nuts P/N 735-2168
for my particular application.  No grinding necessary, tapered head, pressed
right in,
for use with TR7 wheels.

Walt
TCNF Jax, FL