some (more) SU questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: some (more) SU questions
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:44:58 -0400
Ok, for those of you without a score card, I'm one of those guys adapting SU
HS-4s to a '78 Spit 1500 (along with a number of other performance mods -
cam, header, compression, etc.).

For a number of reasons, I concluded that I really needed to install new
jets in the SUs.  I ordered them from Joe Curto and they arrived a week or
two ago, and I just tonight started the process of installation.

Because of the linkage configuration between the choke (enrichening device?)
and the jet, I had to remove the float bowl to get the jet out.  That leads
to...

Question #1:  Is this normal?
Question #2:  Is there a "stock" part for the jet/choke linkage?  (mine
almost looks home-made, almost...)
Question #2.1:  The choke linkages had small, washer-like locks which just
pressed over the end of the linkage shaft to keep it from slipping out of
the jet or choke mechanism.  Are these readily available?

When I ordered the jets from Joe Curto, I also got the little brass washers
that go between the jet bearing and jet bearing locking nut (hope I'm naming
these parts correctly...).  So I took the jet bearing out and it appears
that the threads on the locking nut were sealed with Permatex High-Tack.
So....

Question #3:  Is it standard practice to seal these threads?  If so, what is
the best stuff to use?  I have the aforementioned High-Tack and Hylomar HPF
in hand.

In a similar vein....

Question #4:  The rear carb float bowl had what appeared to be gasoline
residue on the outside, suggesting a bowl cover leak.  Is there a
recommended sealant for that gasket?

In another similar vein...

Question #5:  Someone, a week or two ago, posted a method for sealing an oil
pan gasket.  If that could be re-posted, I'd be most appreciative.

By the way, the choke/jet linkage is shaped kind of like this:

         ___
      *  |
      *  |
   -------

   -----
      ^This is the jet end
      The ** indicate the location of the float bowl bolt head, bowl to the
left (this is the rear carb, mirrored for the front).  Yes, you also have to
imagine this in 3-D.  :-)

Anyway, enough questions for now.

Thanks again for all your support.  I'm hoping to have 'er back up and
running by the time my Dad's XK-120 arrives at the end of the month.
WOOOOHOOOOOO!!

George P.