bleed screws

To: "SpitList \(Spit list\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: bleed screws
From: "Craig Smith" <csmith1@awcwire.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:50:32 -0500
I learned something last night!
I have a Mityvac,(great little tool), and I was helping a friend bleed some
brakes on a custom 71 C10 Chevy pickup. We bought a disk brake kit for the
rears and as I was using the vac. I was getting a lot of air through the
line at the connection point of the hose and the nipple. I thought that
maybe it was air coming through the system but I wasn't getting much fluid
with it.
I went to the web site and looked at the instruction page and Mityvac
recommends Teflon tape around the threads of the nipple.
I removed the nipples and wrapped them with the tape and man what a
difference. What was going on was air was traveling past the threads, so all
I was doing was sucking outside air and not getting a good suction on the
line.
The link is
 http://www.mityvac.com/

Craig Smith