Drive shaft length discrepency

Subject: Drive shaft length discrepency
From: "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:48:51 -0500
Hello Lister's,

Here's a follow up question to my drive shaft question from a couple of
weeks ago.  In the vast reservoir of experience out there has anyone
come across a situation where the manual documentation specifies what
the length of a 78 Spit drive shaft should be but when this item is
taken off the car and measured, it's about 3 1/2 inches shorter.

The correct length for a 1500 Spitfire 4 speed shaft is 41.625 +/- 0.50,
therefore the
overdrive shaft is 40.875 +/- 0.50.

My drive shaft is about 38 inches.  I also measured the empty space from
the back of the tranny flange to the front flange of the diff.  Same
thing, about 38 inches.

My car appears to be an unmolested 78 Spit in pretty good shape.  No
extra holes drilled for tranny changes, the engine looking where it's
suppose to be.  This came to light because I'm installing an O/D tranny
to replace the 4 speed.  The drive shaft for the O/D tranny supposed to
be about 3/4 inch shorter than the non-O/D tranny.

Anyone have any idea how this could occur?

Thx in advance for your ideas.
mike chmura