A question for painting experts

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: A question for painting experts
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:53:58 -0800
Last September, I brought my primered tub to a professional painter for the
final block sanding, sealing and painting.  It's a two stage urethane with
about 4 coats of clear.   With a few exceptions as noted below, the finish is
beautiful and I'm very satisfied -- but a little worried.

I'm about to go back to the painter to address some finishing problems that I
assume are connected to the use of hardener, or perhaps the thickness of the
clearcoat, and I'd sure appreciate an accurate assessment of the problem
before I go in, so I at least half-way sound like I know what I'm talking
about.

I've got wrinkling adjacent to some areas where pressure is put on the paint,
and I've included a photo of the boot hinge to provide a clear illustration of
the problem.

http://www.totallytriumph.net/spitfire/projects/paint_flaw.jpg

Can anyone definitively tell me what's going on here?  FYI, I did not attach
the hinges to the newly painted surface shown here until nearly three months
after the paint job, and I'm also having this problem on the front of the
inside door cap where it presses against the weatherstrip seal.  Normally, the
black vinyl door caps are placed here, but I opted to leave it painted.  And
this seal was only placed on the car about a week ago -- nearly six months
after the paint was applied.

My current position is that I expect the painter to correct these defects at
no extra charge, since everything from the etching primer on up was his work
and the cost of the paint job was not inexpensive to begin with. Thoughts or
opinions welcome.  Thank you.

Jeff