Re: Brake drag

To: "David Armitage" <David.Armitage@nottingham.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: Brake drag
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:28:13 -0500
Probably nothing is wrong with your system.  It is normal to have a light drag
on the front brakes.  If the front hubs and lug nuts are not too hot to touch
after
driving, I would not worry too much.

Having said that, there is one potential situation, which happened to me once:
If the M/C piston is not allowed to return all the way forward, it will not open
the "tipping valve" that lets brake fluid flow between the cylinder and the
reservoir.
If this happens, the fluid in the M/C, lines, and wheel cylinders can warm up
and expand,
and almost lock up the front brakes (and getting the front hubs REAL hot).
It happened to me because something had gotten caught between brake pedal
and the bracket that holds the brake light switch.  As soon as I removed it,
things instantly returned to normal.  If, as you say, the linkage is slack
when your foot is off the pedal, I doubt this is happening to you.

(BTW, the "tipping valve" is part of the USA-spec dual M/C.  If you have
a single M/C, it may not have a tipping valve, but there would be another
valve that woks the same way.  I guess it would be the same as
the clutch M/C.)

Doug Braun
'72 Spit