Odd happenings... and high speed wander

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Odd happenings... and high speed wander
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:33:34 +0000
Hi all,

Ive got one of those questions where there is no definate answer.

I was driving home after picking up my new hard top, the car was going
well, first time Ive really pushed this unknown engine I put in late
last year. A good couple of hours on the motorway. Anyway, as I was
coming back I suddenly heard a bang and rattle coming from under the
car/wheel area.  The closest I can really describe that it sounded like
was something breaking off, whizzing around a wheel arch a few times and
then falling off.

I slowed down, but none of my wheels over took me in comedic fashion.

Anyway, later I had to do some hard braking, and the car pulled left. I
got back to college and parked up. I couldnt find anything wrong with
the front suspension and brakes, both sides were working. I had a look
at the rear and nothing looked out of place. Several high speed sprints
towards my friend observing to see any dipping of one side proved that
there was nothing wrong.

Then I drove home and the car was fine.

I have no idea if both incidents are related. I thought perhaps I had
run over something - but Im sure I would have seen it. And anyway, the
rattle was far too long.

Bizzare, but something must of happened. I hope it doesnt happen again.

Oh, last thing. How much should a Spit wander at high speed? It really
wasn't very fun, it may have been a combination of wind and road surface
- but I was having to go from one side of the play in the steering wheel
to the other constantly at about 80mph. When the car is parked up, the
steering has no play at all - ie if I move the steering wheel the tyre
moves with it.

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit