Re: Idle

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Idle
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:41:00 -0700
Michael, I set my idle high at around 1000 rpm for that exact reason.
Over the winter it stalled at junctions etc. when I have the lights on.
 So up the idle. Should not cause a problem except at emissions testing
where I made sure it was daylight and set it back down. It is a virtual
UK spec as it has twin SU HS4 and as it is a '76 the same compression
ratio as yours. Electronics are all better than new on it as I have
replaced everything over time. In fact yours may still be points like I
had on my Dolomite and I have electronic ignition (upgraded twice in
it's life since original) and that does not help. Even has a newish
alternator.
I set the timing at the correct idle and then simply upped the idle speed.
Yes it does drop about 200 rpm with the lights on and I upped the power
of my lights just slightly with new headlamps when I fitted them after
it was painted and I was putting everything back on.

Problem is that any load dops the idle on our cars unlike the modern
ones with computers that keep it constant.

Alan