Re: Bodywork Prep

To: Geoff Heyland <gheyland@odyssey.on.ca>
Subject: Re: Bodywork Prep
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 08:57:33 -0700
Geoff Heyland wrote:

> John Zissler's question sparked one of my own - I hear a lot about hammering
> out dents with a hammer and dolly - I've seen dollies, but never seen them in
> action.  How are you supposed to use dollies to hammer out dents?  Do you put
> them on the inside of the dent and hammer them, or do you put them on the
> outside and hammer from the inside or what?  Is there a decent source on the
> web that can educate me on this?

It depends on which way you want the metal to go.  On a dent, Put the
dollie on the outside and hammer the dent from the inside so that it
will go back to its original shape.

But there are different body hammers and dollies available that will
(with a lot of practice) allow you to stretch or shrink metal to get the
panel the way you want it.

Joe