RE: Bodywork Prep

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bodywork Prep
From: "Rob T. Getzinger" <RTGetzinger@scif.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:20:13 -0800
I would have just tapped out the low spots with a hammer and dolly, sanded the
paint down to bare metal where I could see or feel dips. Fill the low spots
with body filler/bondo over bare metal. Sanded until it was relatively flat.
That is where you are at now. Then I would have sprayed a primer/surfacer over
the whole piece, sprayed the black dust coat and blocked it to find low/high
spots. You should apply a catalyzed surface putty now over the primer where you
have air holes. It is much finer than the bondo. The surfacer putty should be
applied anywhere you have low spots unless they are real low, if real low sand
down to bondo and reapply more bondo. I wouldn't apply your skim filling over
the whole thing, no need. A primer/surfacer put on good and think will do the
same thing with less effort in applying and sanding out. If you apply bondo
over bondo you should have no problem with layering, use the same product
though. I would suggest catalyzed products.
Rob