Re: Bodywork Prep

To: JohnZissler@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bodywork Prep
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:01:06 -0700
John,
Your final application should be a glazing compound to fill up the
pinholes and very small dents that will show up if not filled.  I highly
recommend the plastic type that is mixed with a hardener.  It sets up
quickly and dries to a very hard state.  I personally use a product
called "EVERCOAT"  "METAL GLAZE".  It is made in Cincinnati, OH (USA) so
I don't know if it is available in the UK.  But if not, surely there is
something like it available there.

The alternative is a glaze that has an acrylic lacquer base and does not
have to be mixed.  It applies like putty but has to dry for several
hours before it can be sanded (depending on how thickly it is applied).

After the surface is smooth, you should then apply several coats of a
good sanding primer and wet sand that down with a very fine (1000 grit)
wet/dry sandpaper.  That will leave a very smooth finish ready for your
final paint application.

Regards,
Joe