rusty exhaust and spring

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: rusty exhaust and spring
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:10:38 -0000 (GMT)
I noticed some rust on my Spitfire (To which you reply "Well duhhh!")

Well, the rust is on the exhaust actually - on the rear left bracket of
the muffler - this is exactly where it rusted a little over a year ago and
made a big hole, therefore meaning I had to buy a new muffler.

So, any ideas? I remember someone saying paint wasn't too effective as it
just burns off?... I've got some Kurust stuff which would probably work -
but then again if I don't cover it up with something it'll rust again.

No wise guys (or gal's) saying I should have bought SS either... I realise
that now! Considering I've had to replace the whole lot now... everything
apart from the manifold...

Also, I noticed that my newly installed rear spring is looking a little
dry. Should I have painted this before I put it on or something?

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit