RE: weird alternator happenings...

To: "'James Carruthers'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: RE: weird alternator happenings...
From: Rick Gregory <Rick@ncmg.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:11:45 -0700
James - from the way it sounds I have to agree whoever else mentioned
that the voltage regulator might be bad. The other possibility is a bad
diode
or diode array (there is more that one actual diode but may have to be
replaced as a module). Otherwise, an alternator should never leak current
when the car is turned off, that is what the diode array prevents along with

making sure that only DC voltage is supplied to your electrical system.
With the light on, it is not getting a charge - and since it is discharging
when turned off, it must be a bad alternator or regulator. But your battery
may still be shot too - you'll know once you get the other issue sorted out
if it takes a charge or not.

Rick Gregory
'74 Triumph Spitfire FM15447UO
'69 Austin Healey Sprite HAN9U81988G