RE: Photographic proof

To: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Photographic proof
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:38:16 -0500
At 11:30 AM -0500 12/10/02, Douglas Braun wrote, concerning
the oddities of the '72 cars:

>I have a '72 built in October 1971 (FK26439L), and as far as I can
>tell it never had the black rear panel.  But I cannot be 100% certain, since
>a PO repainted the car.
>
>You have the black plastic dashboard, right?

Yep, and somehow it hasn't cracked.

Another odd fact is that all the paint charts I have seen
say that color 82, carmine red, wasn't available until
the '73 model. Like I said, we can probably assume that
the plant workers had a few pints at lunch.

>The correct vacuum unit for the distributor is very hard to find.  I'm
>lucky that mine works.  It is actually the notorious "vacuum retard".
>All it does is retard the timing a bit at idle, strictly for
>pollution reasons.
>If yours is busted, the next best thing to do is to set the timing
>to +6 or so,
>and the off-idle timing will be correct.

That's what I was thinking. Dunno why Dave the mechanic was
so insistent on having it working, but I figured I'd humor him.

>BTW, my mail program has informed me that "vacuum retard" is a
>potentially offensive phrase that I should avoid using in emails.  :-)

Heh.  Perhaps thought you were talking about (insert your
least favorite politician here).

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC