RE: Photographic proof

To: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Photographic proof
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:30:00 -0500
I have a '72 built in October 1971 (FK26439L), and as far as I can
tell it never had the black rear panel.  But I cannot be 100% certain, since
a PO repainted the car.

You have the black plastic dashboard, right?

The correct vacuum unit for the distributor is very hard to find.  I'm
lucky that mine works.  It is actually the notorious "vacuum retard".
All it does is retard the timing a bit at idle, strictly for pollution reasons.
If yours is busted, the next best thing to do is to set the timing to +6 or so,
and the off-idle timing will be correct.

BTW, my mail program has informed me that "vacuum retard" is a
potentially offensive phrase that I should avoid using in emails.  :-)

Doug Braun
'72 Spit