Re: Battery placement (very little if any LBC content)

To: bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery placement (very little if any LBC content)
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:26:50 EST
Hi Barry,

This reminds me of my favorite sport car story (which didn't happen to me,
but I have to steal it and share it here).

A fellow I know, who owned a succession of sports cars through his misspent
youth, had an early Datsun Fairlady (predesessor to the Datsun 2000 Roadster,
Japanese knock-off of an MGB). It had an unusual single sideways seat behind
the two regular seats. This seat was hinged to the side of the parcel shelf
area and could be flipped up to expose the battery underneath. One hot, South
Carolina day in about 1970, he and his brother and his brother's girlfriend
decided, "It's too hot. Let's go to the beach!", Top down, they jumped in the
car, boys in the front, Jeanie in the back. He started the car, heard a noise
he described as "POOT!". His brother looked around and said, "Where's
Jeanie?".  Jeanie was lying on the ground beside the car wondering where she
was, also.

Obviously, when he started the car, a spark lit the hydrogen gases under the
back seat and launched Jeanie into sub-orbital flight. He and his brother got
a big kick out of it, but it didn't do much for Jeanie's opinion of sports
cars.

Wish I had been there...

Tom Burke
80 Spit