RE: Where did everyone go ? (long)

To: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>, "'Spit list'"
Subject: RE: Where did everyone go ? (long)
From: Daniel Parrott <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 08:09:16 -0400
Dear Spit Listers...

While on our 17 day coach tour, I kept a watch for all of the pre 1980 LBC's
that I could spot while my nose was pressed against the window.  My unspoken
anticipation was that I'll be treated to 17 days in LBC Heaven, with
Spitfires, Morgans and MBG's running the back roads, complete with the
wicker basket lashed to their boots, and pretty blonds in the passenger seat
(and a few driving, as well).  Alas, here are my results, in this totally
unscientific survey (which was limited to where I was seated that day, and
what I could see):

        London:  Only two beat up MGB's were spotted, an orange one in Hyde Park
and one more on the road to the east of town.  The most prevelant LBC in
London appeared to the older Minis, for which I counted 15 over a day and a
half.

        Worster:  A very nice red Vittsse with a white interior passed us by on
Saturday morning.

        Bristol area:  I saw three MGB GT's on trailers headed to local race
courses?

        Ireland:  We saw two Stags, one fully restored in Dublin, and a tired
purple one for sale to the East of Cork.

        A green Morris Minor was spotted in Wales

        1 flat radiator Morgan was spotted near Bristol

        A pretty light blue Triumph Herald was spotted outside of Liverpool,
headed
towards town.

In summary
        Only four Triumphs, a Herald, a Vittise and two Stags.
        6 MGB/GT's
        27 Old Mini's, 18 New
        1 Morgan
        0 Spitfires, GT-6's
        0 Old Jaguars (altough there were plenty of new ones around!
        2 TVR's, one old, one new in Ireland

I also tracked down some of the new MG's, including 16 new MGF's.  Too bad
they don't export.

        But where were the TR-6's, the Big Healys, the Spitfires?  Maybe I was
just
unlucky.....

Dan Parrott
1980 Triumph Spitfire "PJ"