stumbling problem solved???

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: stumbling problem solved???
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:25:42 -0400
Hi list,

You may recall that I was having a stumbling problem with my '78 Spit.  I
initially thought that it might be the pressure regulator between the
mechanical fuel pump and the rear carb (dual HS-4s) set too low.  Removing
the regulator seemed to do the trick, but I was back to leaking fuel from
the float bowl vent tubes.  Regulator was reinstalled and set just a bit
higher - back to stumbling after just a few miles (but no more leaking).

Well!  As I was looking at the setup, I noted that the fuel hose, which runs
from the regulator to the rear carb, had been tie-wrapped to one of the
water pipes to keep it from flopping around.  My guess now is that the fuel
hose is experiencing a bit of vapor lock.  I've removed the tie-wrap and am
going to insulate the fuel hoses.  I also want to find something to insulate
the float bowls and will eventually fabricate a set of heat shields a la
Paul Tegler.  But for right now, I think insulating the fuel hoses will
solve my problem.

Can anyone recommend a good insulator for 1/4" or 3/8" i.d. fuel hose??  Any
that is regularly available, vice special order?  Also, if I don't get the
float bowls insulated or the heat shields fab'd right away, how long can I
drive before the header boils the gas in the bowls?  Will keeping my fans on
while I drive help prevent this?

Thanks,

George P.