Re: Oiling trunnions

To: BrYarboro@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oiling trunnions
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:21:18 -0700
At 06:31 PM 5/21/02 -0400, BrYarboro@aol.com wrote:

>It is part # 11138, ~ $18.00 US, and the 90 wt. GL-5 oil was another few
>bucks, $20.00 and change US.

The applicator makes no difference.  It's whatever fits on the
fitting.  Since the cars came with a small threaded plug that you took out
and fitted a zerc or grease nipple onto, lubed the joint, then replaced the
plug, it doesn't make any difference.  Use something that fits your
car.  Feel free to replace the fittings with something that is easier to
access.

>Can't wait to try it. I rebuilt the entire front end last fall and want to
>make sure the trunnions are nice and full.

Make sure to use oil and not grease like many Spits have had done to them
over the years.  If there is a grease fitting there, there is a good chance
that some overzealous shop may have put grease in there when doing other
lubrication upkeep.

-Vegaman Dan