Re: Definitions

To: OC@46thFoot.com, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Definitions
From: "L G" <boynigel@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 18:43:17 +0000
>In article <20020510003627.70197.qmail@web12204.mail.yahoo.com>, Terry
>Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com> writes
> >Perhaps it's different in the UK. But Classic,
> >Vintage, Antique are pretty nebulous adjectives at
> >best. And often they are even used to describe the
> >same vehicle.
>
>One of these definitely has a fixed definition in English statute law -
>"antique" is over 100 years old.
>
> >For a bit of edification:
> >According to Merriam-Webster, classic is usually a
> >highly sought after, low production number or rare
> >vehicle. Classics are bench marks, historically
> >memorable or simply have notariety of being the
> >epitome of that vehicle type for year, era, or company
> >production. (Note that they don't have to be superior,
> >outsell or particularly better than other cars).
> >"classic" cars are obviously highly debatable amongst
> >autophiles(my word for gearheads) due to the limitless
> >categories for a car being notarietable (is that even
> >a word?!).
>
>Triumph is indubitably a classic marque.   The Acclaim was indubitably
>notorious, (I think that's the word you were trying for with
>"notarietable" <g>), for a number of reasons.   Is the Triumph Acclaim a
>classic car?   I suppose so.   It is certainly a classic example of the
>perils of badge-engineering. :-(
>
> >A little test. One of these statements is
> >grammatically incorrect:
> >"I own a classic Porsche Speedster"
> >"I own a vintage Ford Mustang"
> >"I own an antique Corvette"
> >
> >Email me if you know the answer and why.
>
>Well, under English law, the last is impossible - they weren't making
>Corvettes in 1901...
>
>ATB
>
>--
>Mike
>Ellie - 1963 White Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV
>Carly - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671

I love the idea that Nigel is Mid-Elizabethan! It's so...fitting!

What's the answer-which phrase is incorrect?

I consider Spitfires to be "Vintage"-not quite classics (though Dave says
Nigel is "High Performance"-maybe he just means high maintenence!) Maybe
Spittys are veterans...but not antique. No, they're "vintage" to me.

And congratualations on your Herald-I am sooo jealous!

Laura G.