Rear trunions and brakes?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear trunions and brakes?
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 11:32:12 -0400
Hello all,

I am doing a little work on my cars rear suspension and have noticed that
the rear trunions are very stiff. How freely should they pivot? I can move
them, but not freely - takes a good bit of effort. The originals from my
car and the low mileage ones from my parts car are all the same.

On a similar note, how freely should the rear brake cylinders slide around
on the backing plate? Again, mine will move, but not freely by any stretch
of the imagination. The main problem seems to be that the handbrake pivot
has worn a groove in the backing plate and does not want to move out of it.

Thanks!

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine
Freddy the Spit (77 with 69 engine)