Distributor Rattle 3

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor Rattle 3
From: "Larry Elswick" <sos@kymtnnet.org>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 09:16:06 -0400
Well a new distributor didn't cure the rattle although
the combination of the Mallory distributor, Pertronix
Ignitor, and 8 mm spark plugwires seemed to make
an improvement in performance. I'm thinking that I may
have made a mistake in setting the endfloat when measuring
for the gaskets for the pedestal. Is it possible to cause
wear on the bottom of the pedestal by not having proper
clearance? Could this wear now be allowing the oil pump
gear to move slightly out of mesh when there is no load
on it? The rattle always happens when the engine is shut
off and sometimes after the engine is revved, but adding
throttle stops it. Puzzled and frustrated!!
Larry