Re: battery box replacement

To: "Fred Griffiths" <griffco@cadvision.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: battery box replacement
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:58:37 -0700
At 09:50 PM 4/21/02 -0600, Fred Griffiths wrote:
>Has anyone any experience replacing a battery box on a Spit?
>
>I see they are listed as available in Rimmer.  Are these metal?  Does one NEED
>to remove the bulkhead braces to install it?  I'm not interested in the
>fibreglass version.

Probably the easiest way to do this is to grind down the original spot
welds on the battery box lip and remove it from above.  It just drops into
the bulkhead opening.  If you grind it down, you'll end up with a solid
surface that you can then weld the replacement to.

TIP: Drill a series of 1/8" holes around the perimeter of the new battery
box lip.  Then when you drop it into the hole, you can plug weld through
the holes to the good metal below on the bulkhead and have a nice strong
connection.

Something I plan on doing to my box (which is in good condition-whew!) is
to coat the inside of it with the rubberized coating used in pickup bed
liners.  It's available fairly cheap now at auto parts stores for you to
apply yourself.  Coating the inside of this box will ensure no rust will
happen from any leaking batteries.  Of course you'll need to keep the drain
and drain hose clear, but it should prevent most problems in the future.

-Vegaman Dan