Re: Clutch problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch problem
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:53:50 -0400
I have replaced clutches twice over the years, and they all did that.
And I used B+B parts.  It seems to be the limiting factor for clutch life.
My clutches never really wore out, they just got too grabby and uneven.

I think the reason is that the throwout bearing is in continuous light contact
with the spring fingers, due to the ressure of the spring inside the
clutch slave cylinder.

Lots of other cars have self-adjusting hydraulic clutches (my Subaru, for
example).
I have no idea what they do to avoid this problem.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit