Carb needle valves

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Carb needle valves
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 10:03:37 -0800 (PST)
I currently have a pair of dual SU's on my spitfire.
Every few months, I would have an issue with fuel
overflowing out of the over-flow tubes. Disassembling
the floats and cleaning out the needle bearings with
carb cleaner seemed to fix it for a few months before
it would start again. (Evidently the needle valves
would stick open from gas turning to an adhesive).

I just replaced the crappy needle valves with Gross
style jets. And let me say that those things are cool!
It's an enclosed assembly. And instead of the little
rubber tipped needle which gets dirty or worn in a
stock SU, it has an internal metal ball bearing a
smooth needle.

I think they were like $5 ea. (maybe a bit less, as I
bought them a few weeks ago)

Even if you're not experiencing gas overflow, if/when
you do a rebuild I strongly suggest you get these
gross style valves. They also make them for ZS carbs.

-Terry
http://www.firespitter.com