Infuriating UK road name changes

To: "Spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Infuriating UK road name changes
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:36:02 -0000
Has anybody heard of this yet? It's in the current issue of The Courier (Cop
Shop section)

There going to change the names of the roads!!! And we can't stop them (at
least I don't think we can! I always thought it was very simple: and A road is
bigger than a B road, and M means motorway. But no, obviously no one can work
this out. Instead we're taking on the "euro" system. Which consist of E, N, D
and P roads:

E is a "euroroute" which crosses many countries borders.
N is a national route which is a "major"" route not being a "euroroute"
D is a department route that starts and finishes in the same "member state"
And theres also a P - which is a "Periphery" route - i.e something like the
M25 which circles a major town.

This may make sense when roads run for many miles (sorry km) across entire
countries - but as far as I know you can't quite yet travel from London to
Paris on a road - non-stop. And don't tell me about the chunnel or ferrys and
such like - they don't count

I know a lot of people travel to europe (are we not in europe?!?!) - but I
don't see how this helps. I don't mind the odd euro law - and I've nearly
talked myself in to the fact that one day I may not be able to pay in pounds
and pence - but surely something that only really makes sense for countries
connected together is crazy! We are an island!!

Plus everybody will have to buy new maps, so there!

No more traffic jams on the MMMM25 then,

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit