Re: Back from the garage...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Back from the garage...
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:26:04 +0000
In article <001801c1d507$2ad257c0$c11286d9@g6a2g8>, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> writes
>I never thought I would have such a reaction to having my car back.... you
>don't realise what you've got till its gone (at least for a few days)  But
>some odd feeling that someone has been poking 'round MY motor too....

I know what you mean.   I always have to take Carly for a long drive
after I get her back from the garage, just to "bond" with her again! The
worst time is after an engine rebuild, when you can't take her out for a
thrash because you'll destroy all the good work that has just been done.

>Anyway, stuff that they found; one flange was bent and had been welded fixed -
>on the other, 2 of the threads were broken. And they had both worn against the
>wheel. So they replaced those 2 (60 pounds for 2 secondhand) They had to
>replace the trunnions - can't remember why that was - and of course the UJs -
>oh and a wheel nut. And a bush & bolt from a radius arm that had siezed.
>
>They fitted both the half shafts and bearing kits that I had already
>purchased. - The shafts had worn - they showed me them and they had worn past
>the hardening.
>
>All of this cost #330 - in cash - which they reckoned was 8 hours work plus
>all the stuff I mentioned earlier (except of course the shafts and bearings)

Sounds like a very good price to me.

>They also informed me my diff was weaping (Could my car be like Herbie and
>feel my pain, like the pain in my wallet at the moment? It'll be driving by
>itself soon... or maybe I've just been talking to my car too much) - and a
>downpipe gasket may have blown.

Daft comment, considering she has just come back from a garage, but have
you checked that the bolts/nuts on the diff are still torqued up
properly?   Could just be that one or more has worked a little loose.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"