Back from the garage...

To: "Spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Back from the garage...
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:45:09 -0000
I never thought I would have such a reaction to having my car back.... you
don't realise what you've got till its gone (at least for a few days)  But
some odd feeling that someone has been poking 'round MY motor too....

Anyway, stuff that they found; one flange was bent and had been welded fixed -
on the other, 2 of the threads were broken. And they had both worn against the
wheel. So they replaced those 2 (60 pounds for 2 secondhand) They had to
replace the trunnions - can't remember why that was - and of course the UJs -
oh and a wheel nut. And a bush & bolt from a radius arm that had siezed.

They fitted both the half shafts and bearing kits that I had already
purchased. - The shafts had worn - they showed me them and they had worn past
the hardening.

All of this cost #330 - in cash - which they reckoned was 8 hours work plus
all the stuff I mentioned earlier (except of course the shafts and bearings)

They also informed me my diff was weaping (Could my car be like Herbie and
feel my pain, like the pain in my wallet at the moment? It'll be driving by
itself soon... or maybe I've just been talking to my car too much) - and a
downpipe gasket may have blown.

So all in all Im happy - no more clonking around corners - even more happy
after reading Richard description of a UJ faliure. I'll just have to check
everything's fine and dandy tomorrow and give her (she is officially a she now
- don't tell me how I can tell - however "she" doesn't have enough personality
for me to give her a name yet) a damn fine thrashing.

All I can say is thank god for my student account's large overdraft - and my
student loan thats coming in the next few weeks....

Officially now bankrupt and accepting donations (account details on request),

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit (back to her very old self again)