Roll-over bar

To: "spitfires@autox" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Roll-over bar
From: "Livia I. Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:53:31 -0500
Hi all,
we are investigating the installation of a roll-over bar for my Spit for
safety reasons.
This afternoon we measured, tested, and discussed the available space
for such an installation, considering the movement of the mechanical
parts of the soft top and the high back of our Mk4 seats.
We came to the conclusion that there isn't a lot of space  for a bar,
but we don't give up easily.
We will design and fabricate the roll bar ourselves.
We are debating several different ideas, such as a retractable or
telescopic application, still keeping in mind that is has to be solid
enough to serve its purpose.
We're planing on using 1 3/4 inch steel tubing for the project.

Any ideas, recommendations, improvements on existing roll bars?

Liv
67 Spit
CCC