RE: gasket and head bolts...

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: gasket and head bolts...
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@ivwnet.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:39:25 -0500
I have been under the belief that head studs are only to be put in the block
as tight as you can get them with your fingers only.  Not to tighten them in
with a wrench.  Am I wrong in this belief??

Also, speaking of head studs.  The new studs I got for my Spit MK2 have a
groove cut into the threads on one side.  I haven't seen this before.  Does
this groove go into the block?  What is it's purpose?  I *guess* that it
goes into the block and it give a path for any crud or oil to get out as you
put in the stud.  That's just a guess, correct me if I'm wrong.  Also, are
the studs standard 3/8-24 Threads or are they whitworth or something else.
Why I am asking is that the nuts that came with them seem to be a little
loose, and the grade 8 3/8-24 nut from the hardware store seem way too
tight.

Now my head gasket question.  I have a NOS copper head gasket.  I've never
used copper before, any thing different as far as procedure or torque specs
than the fel-pro I am used to using?

Bill