gasket and head bolts...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: gasket and head bolts...
From: mayer49@netscape.net
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:42:06 -0500
Hey y'all,
  I am sorry for all of the beginner questions in the last few weeks, but i am
really trying to make some headway this week on the engine.

Question 1:
  I got a whole new set of head bolts and took the old ones out.  Now my
problem becomes torquing the new ones down.  I tried using one nut on top of
the other and tightening them ubtil they wouldn't tighten anymore so as to
tighten the stud.  However, this casued the nut to ride up over the smooth part
of the stud and messed up the threads on the inside of the nut and then wehn i
took the nut off it tore up the threads on the stud as well.  What should i do?
 Any tricks of the trade i should know about?  And what should the torque be on
these?  In the manual it doesn't really say?

Question 2:
  Again with the head gasket.  One side of the gasket shows the metal rings
around each individual cylinder.  the other side seems to have a more
continuous metal connecting all four cylinder openings.  I am assuming the
second side i described is facing down onto the block and the other up towards
the head, but i'm not sure.  Any advice?

Thanks again for all your help.
  Dave
 '68 Spit Mk3
 http://angelfire.com/d20/davies_stuff/cars/Spit.html