RE: { NASS } Change rear wheel bearings

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: { NASS } Change rear wheel bearings
From: "Jon" <triumph@bigolbear.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:33:39 -0500
Hi Tim-
I'm currently doin' the deed to my own rear bearings. You'll need a
specialized puller- the factory one, TSSC makes one (that's what I have) and
I've found a link or two on making one-
http://members.visi.net/~kohout/hubpull.html . The two biggest points about
the spit puller that make it different from a standard puller are a) the
mating surface has to be exact with the flange, bend the flange- its toast
(expensive toast, check the price from vicky brit...) and b) it needs a
big-a*s bolt to take the torque you're going to apply to bust the flange hub
off the tapered shaft and woodruff key. I think you would lift your spitter
off the ground trying to get that flange loose, I had to use a 4' pipe on
the breaker bar I plugged into the 1-1/8" impact socket. Also, you might do
damage to your diff from wrenching it. Plus, if you're not careful, looking
at the suspension geometry- you have the potential to damage either your
body tub or the radius arm where it attaches. You see where I'm going. BTW-
it'll make a bang like a 45 when it breaks loose!
Here's a pic of the jig I used to hold the axle. The diff flange is bolted
to the 4x4s which are clamped to the workbench.
http://68.82.60.47/Web/hub_puller.jpg
Next you need to get the hub trunnion loose and off, that's much easier on a
workbench. Then you have to drift off the bearing race and gaskets. While
its all apart, might as well yank the ujoint and repaint the whole thing.
And then there's the bushings.

Now, I'm sure there's someone out there who's done it on the car, if so,
I'll eat my crow with plenty of A-1...

Having finally gotten the hang of getting it apart, its a piece of cake. I
probably should have paid to have it done...

Good Luck!
Jon
'77 (mostly) 1500 "Ol' Yeller"
FM66043 7U