RE: Rear-end rubbing advice please!

To: "'Dean Dashwood'" <deandashwood_list@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Rear-end rubbing advice please!
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:05:36 -0000
Dean,

Problem 1:  Free Play.  This is most likely to be free play in the diff.
This is quite normal, although it tends to get worse with age.  I'm not sure
how much free play is considered acceptable, but on Daffy you can turn the
prop-shaft by probably 25-30 deg before the slack is taken up and the wheels
start to turn, and she's been like that for at least 15,000 miles (when I
last checked the free play) without breaking yet.

If the UJs have free play (and it happens quite often) you should be able to
see it as you try and turn the wheel - the wheel will start turning before
the flange into the diff.  If that is the case it is SERIOUS and should be
fixed ASAP - I've paid the price of trying to ignore it for a week until it
was a more conveniant time to fix it.  This can be done yourself, with
standard tools, although you will  also need axle stands and a big vice (and
a wide vocabulary).  I have written up the procedure at
http://www.totallytriumph.net/dcforum/DCForumID45/26.shtml.

Problem 2:  Stiff right rear wheel.  Well, if it's not the brakes then it's
probably the bearings (which is not a good thing).  You could try pumping
plenty of fresh grease in there and seeing if that helps; if not they may
need replacing.  I've never done this so I don't know how easy it is, or
what it involves.  I'll let others advise!

Is it safe to drive?  As for problem 2, that's not going to cause the car to
fail utterly over the next couple of weeks.  Problem 1 - if it's the diff
you're fine, if its the UJs they really should be replaced VERY SOON.
INDEED.

Richard & Daffy
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email