Re: just typical! [gearbox and engine]

To: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: just typical! [gearbox and engine]
From: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:04:24 +0000
James Carruthers wrote:

> Typically, just as I thought everything was sorted.... and having just spend a
> grand on a computer, my car decides that it just doesnt like me - and wants to
> empty my bank account some more.
>
> My engine now sounds like theres a tin can shacking about inside it, I have no
> idea why - it just started today - and worse still - the gearbox is going
> wrong too.
>
> The gearbox doesnt like coming out of third - fine going in - but when you go
> from third to neutral (or forth) - it "catches" and requires force to get it
> to move - it seems to be effected by engine speed too. When slow it comes out
> easier than when faster - but sometimes this isnt true and it just doesnt come
> out at any speed. But also sometimes it does it the other way around.
>
> Any ideas? Am I looking at a new gearbox?
>
> James
>
> 1977 Pimento Red Spit

Hi James,
Lifes a git sometimes...
I agree with what Richard Gosling says, although you can get a slightly better
idea as to where the sound is coming from be using the old trick of holding a
screw driver against various parts of the engine and touching it against your
head near your ear to hear the vibration!
As to the gear box. If both the engine and gearbox are gone, replace the both
together with a second hand one from quillers or spitfire graveyard.
Cheers
Tim

--
Tim Dafforn