new exhaust

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: new exhaust
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:56:49 -2400
Continuing the noise saga......

My car is still as noisy as ever - I havent checked the timing - although
it was checked back in mid september.

The car was essentially in tune and making all the right noises - so the
timing must still be correct. However the I knew the exhaust to be on the
old side - there is a fist size path of rust on the back box. The
previous owener left some new exhaust fitting parts in the boot - along
with a load of other stuff - so Im guessing he was going to change it
eventually. So my reckoning is that the exhaust is shot. If I remember
reading correctly the new K&Ns I put on would have put more pressure on
the exhaust - so if it was already on its way out, they would have pushed
it over the edge.

So Im going to take it to the seemingly local garage close to home - as I
wont be able to do it myself - I dont have anything to lift the car.

Any advice on what sort of exhaust I need? I know the guy at the garage
might suggest something - but I need to be sure. And seeing as the list
collectively  has a huge amount of information I though I may as well
make use of it - as always :)

I dont want a "sports" exhaust - I dont really like the loud noise.
Although if Im correct - the term sports doesnt relate to the loudness as
a whole. Although I wouldnt mind something with a bit of grunt but not
over the top.

Do I need something to match the K&N's? I remember reading that if I were
to fit some sort of sports exhaust I would need to change the needles in
the carbs to make it richer. I dont really want to buy more needles - and
dont really want to increase my mpg figure. And there was something
mentioned about free flow exhausts?

Also - what are the detrimental effects of me running with a dodgy
exhaust? I have to drive home (15 miles-ish) tomorrow - roughly 50 mph
all the way. It certainly doesnt sound healthy - but am I doing any
damage? Im guessing the answer is yes.

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit - currently sounding more like the aircraft than
the car.