Engine chirp & head gasket

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine chirp & head gasket
From: KEschhofen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:21:43 EST
I have isolate at least one oil leak to the head gasket on my 69 mk3 spit.
Might have a back seal leaking also.
The head gasket does leak until it gets hot then leaks oil out the back of the
engine which then drips to the bottom of the tranny and then blows on the
exhaust and of course smokes. This was a little alarming till I found where it
was coming from.

Anyway.. I am also getting a chirpping from the engine area when it gets hot. I
am thinking that it might be a valve or the gasket itself? opinions? It seems
to occur at about 2700 - 3300 RPM when hot.

Keep in mind that this is the second drive I have made with the car. I sat for
probally 10 - 15 prior.

Still having fun with this (especially since I had it out in the nice weather).

Thanks
Kevin Eschhofen