PDWA

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: PDWA
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:27:11 -0500
My PDWA is leaking brake fluid out of the electrical switch part.
This is on a US market 1978 1500.

After reading the excellent article on the VTR site and the info
our very own Donald Locker has posted on the Yahoo Groups, I realize
that it is likely that the seals on the internal piston have failed.
I dismantled the switch and these o-rings appeared to be whole, so I
just tried cleaning everything up and reassembling, but it still
leaks.  I'm having some trouble sourcing replacement o-rings of the
right size and material locally after having been to a couple of
hardware and plumbing stores.  I'm considering alternatives and I'm
wondering if anyone has anything to add:

First alternative - simply plug the opening for the electrical switch
with a bolt or plumbing plug.  While this will defeat the PDWA, I
don't consider it a particularly useful device anyway since by the
time it trips, you're going to know that somethings wrong by pedal
feel anyway.  Problem is that the opening appears to be 5/8 inch with
fine threads and I can't find a plug or bolt to fit!  Since I would
be in effect combining the front and rear systems, I would also be
losing the benefits of the dual master cylinder.

Second alternative - remove the PDWA entirely and replace
it with two female/female brake fittings.  I presume such things exist.
Again this would defeat the purpose of the PDWA, such as it is.

Suggestions?  Thoughts?  Admonishments?

TIA!

Greg Rowe