Re: Distributor Gasket

To: "Gary Hutton" <hutton@evansville.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Distributor Gasket
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:57:31 -0500
Is the leak where the distributor enters the pedestal,
or where the pedestal is bolted to the block?

There is an O-ring between the distributor and the pedestal
that you might need to replace.

The best way to check the drive gear end float is to
bolt down the pedestal without the distributor, stick
your finger down the hole, and try to wiggle and twist the gear.
If you can't move it at all, there obviously is not enough end float.
But adding a gasket INCREASES the end float.

As for the alignment, the goal is to end up with the
distributor rotor pointing in the same direction
that it used to, after reassembling everything.  Before
removing the pedestal, turn the engine so the slot in
the drive gear points in an obvious direction, and don't
disturb the crank position while things are apart.
Don't get the drive gear 180 degrees out of position!
The slot is not symmetric.

This assumes that the DPO or DCO did not mess up the distributor
position in the past...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit