Re: Tranny "What-The" issue...

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny "What-The" issue...
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:22:24 -0400
>> does the fact that the end of my output shaft looks kind of
>> pitted and crummy mean that the tranny's toast, or what?
>
> http://www.spitbits.com/spitfire_mk4_gearbox_internals.htm
>
> Check out part number 29.  Should be a bushing pressed into the
> input shaft that the mainshaft rides inside of.

That's a caged needle bearing, and if your output shaft is rough then it'll
just eat the needles.  Assuming you want to avoid paying for a new output
shaft, I'd just polish the end down and fit a bushing (not a bearing) to the
input shaft's annulus.

Contact John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics, Monroe CT.  He sells bushings like
this to racers.  You will want a custom size, however.

--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,