Petrol smell continued

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Petrol smell continued
From: Rachel Dixon <rachel.dixon@tate.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:07:53 +0100
Dear All,

Firstly, thank you to everyone who replied to my first email regarding the
petrol smell problem in my Mk2 Spit '65. Since then I have had it fully
serviced, with lots of attention paid to the float chambers, fuel pipes, had
a new fuel pump and valves fitted, etc, etc, and it is noticeably better!

However, and it pains me to say so, it still wafts a strong petrol smell
when I pull off at traffic lights in first, or am driving slowly in traffic
in 2nd gear. It doesn't do it every time, only occasionally now, but it is
still a distinct petrol smell. I continue to check for noticeable leaks in
the engine are, but nothing.

Is this a symptom of something worse, or just a characteristic of
Spitfire's, as they are so close to other cars exhausts and with little
insulation from the engine bay? Apart from the smell it runs like a dream,
no spluttering, no problems in idle, no stalling/cutting out etc.

Any advice would be gratefully received, before I take it back to Quiller
Triumph in Plumstead to shell out more cash!

Thanks again everyone

Rachel Dixon
'65 Spit