Re: painting engine

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: painting engine
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:44:23 -0400
My two bits on this subject:

If the car is moveable, try to clean the scuzzy parts of
the engine, bell housing, and surrounding areas.  The
cleaner the car is, the less unpleasant it will be to remove
the engine!

Remember that a pressure washer is NOT the same thing as an
honest-to-god steam cleaner.  A pressure washer is much more
likely to damage things, mess up paint, etc.  I bet
a pressure washer would shoot a hole right through the cardboard
tunnel cover.  These days it seems hard to find a real steam
cleaner, since the cheap and lazy find it easier to get and use
a pressure washer.

For small- to medium-scale degreasing, I have found that "Simple Green"
works almost as well as "Gunk Engine Brite", and is much easier on
the environment.  Gunk will leave a big oil slick running down
your driveway, while Simple Green is no worse than any strong detergent.
(I have no idea what are the equivalent products in the UK...)

Doug Braun
'72 Spit