Re: UK to US translation? [getting long]

To: jblair@exis.net
Subject: Re: UK to US translation? [getting long]
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:04:10 -0400 (EDT)
Some clarifications.  (I hope these clarify ...)  What John says is
basically true; here are a few more details.  (Anyone with better
knowledge, please correct me anywhere.  I don't mind learning more or
unlearning any erroneous "knowledge.")

Lacquer actually dries -- i.e. the vehicle (lacquer thinner)
evaporates, leaving the pigments behind.  When painting lacquer, thin
layers is the rule, since each new layer actually melts a little of
the previous layers and bonds with them to form a full-thickness
coating eventually.  Cellulose is the actual plastic part which is
left behind [along with the colourants] when the thinner evaporates.
Lacquers are environmentally bad because all of the liquid eventually
must evaporate and fills our atmosphere with unburnt hydrocarbons,
leading to ground-level ozone and smog.

An enamel actually cures (mostly); some of the vehicle evaporates upon
application, but much of the liquid in the material remains behind and
polymerises [rather slowly] over the course of time, forming the final
coat.  This coat is resistant to many solvents because of the cure
process.  Needs to be applied in as thick a layer as possible (without
runs) because subsequent layers don't adhere like the lacquer layers
do.  Or at least there is no good reason to apply thin layers.  But
you do have to let each coat dry sufficiently (allow the volatiles to
evaporate) before recoating, otherwise the volatiles in the lower coat
have no way to evaporate except by lifting the upper coat.  Enamels
have less volatiles than lacquers, generally, so are environmentally
more friendly.

The acrylic enamels (and latexes) are specific types of enamels in
which the liquid which will eventually polymerise into the body of the
paint is an acrylic (or latex) monomer (or shorter-chain polymer)
material which polymerises further on exposure to oxygen.  (I believe
most of these polymerised materials form their chains when the free
ends of the shorter molecules oxidise.  That is the way that linseed
oil, for instance, gets all gummy, and why oil paint "dries" even in
the can -- the oxygen that gets in while the can is open cures the oil
in the paint.)

The two-part paints are a kind of enamel which use isocyanates as a
catalyst to speed the polymerisation of the vehicle (which otherwise
would take some years to proceed to completion,) so very little extra
liquid (and not a lot of time) is required for the process.  The
vehicle is a urethane monomer which is converted to polyuerthane by
the polymerisation reaction.  This kind of paint is very resistant to
solvents and environmental attack because of the chemical stability of
the polyurethane.  This stuff is very often applied as a base (colour)
coat with an overcoat of clear to give "depth" to the finish.

Epoxy enamels are another form of two-part paint.  This stuff's
monomer is an epoxide resin, just like the adhesive.  I think the
expense of epoxies precludes their use except where their cured
characteristics (adhesion, toughness) are really necessary.

HTH, and I'm sorry I got so long-winded.
Donald.