Re: Re-finishing Spit

To: "Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou" <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: Re-finishing Spit
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 01:35:27 -0400
     Good question, Doug.  On reflection, I'm not so sure that lacquer is
all that labor-intensive.  I've always heard that (1) lacquer, when being
applied,  doesn't "flow" like enamel, thus requiring super-perfect priming
and preparation, and that (2) the ultra-fine sanding and compounding after
application is a time-consuming & onerous task.
     However, in my present project (using Lucite & DuPont 3602S thinner),
I've found it goes on quite nicely and needs very little rubbing out (IF I
get all the variables just right - mixture, gun angle, speed of stroke,
sweep overlap, etc.).  Of course, I don't always get all those variables
100% right; but, no problem - if I'm not happy with a particular area, I
just refill the gun & apply some more overtop the previous application.
When I get it right, I'll match my lacquer job up against any paint job
using the more modern, exotic products presently in vogue.
     As you can surmise, I'm rather sold on lacquer - particularly so for
the DIYer with primitive equipment & facilities and with limited skills.

Cheers,  Ree G.