Re: shaved handles and paint

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shaved handles and paint
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:11:37 -0700 (PDT)
The only guy that I can say I've seen the work of so
far, is the one that quoted me $5,000 over the phone
w/out doing any body work. (e.g. He'd prime it twice,
spray color it twice, and gloss spray it, once.)
He also stated that it could take several months for
him to complete the work, as he goes over the car
multiple times making sure there are no drips or runs.
And althoug I can honestly say it was quality work, I
can't afford $5,000, I don't want to go several months
without my car and I just can't justify $5k, when he's
making me do all of the hard work of stripping paint
and trim and smoothing/puttying panels.

I'm thinking I may go with the $2,800 paint job. The
guy said he could get "Ultra Black" (I'm looking to
paint the car black w/yellow trim - door caps and
windshield frame). As seen in the concept photo below.

http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/images/carcolor/concept.jpg

shaved (sh'A-vd) adj. abbreviated form of
"shaved-off". A slang term used by hot rodders and
custom cruisers for removing an item and making the
area smooth with the rest of the body. Like when you
shave your beard.
>From the outside, it appears that there is no way to
open the door (and when done correctly. no way from
the inside either).

My door handle mechanisms were replaced with a
keychain actuator (like they use for car alarms and
remote starters) and solenoids placed in the doors.
You press a button on the actuator and the driver's
door unlatches/pops open. Press it again and the
passenger side unlatches/pops open. Press another
button and the trunk pops open.

Eventually, I'd like to get a hydraulic linear
actuator to operate the bonnet as well.
-Terry