Re: Some thoughts on engine swap, Lotus maybe??

To: John and Chris <peacox1@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on engine swap, Lotus maybe??
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 05:09:36 -0400
John and Chris wrote:

> I have a buddy that has had a Jenson Healey sitting beside his house
> collecting rust.  It has the Lotus engine in it.  A week ago or so I asked him
> if he was still planning a restoration on the car.  He said no, the rust was
> much worse than he thought.  He then mentioned that the engine would be fun in
> a Spitfire.
>
> So does anyone know what the specs are on this motor.  I know it has dual
> sidedraft (Mikunis I think).  Anyone know the hp.
>
> Now the big question.  How hard are parts to find?

  Rebuilding a Lotus engine can be as expensive as rebuilding
a Ferrari engine.

  I would recommend highly against it. If you are going non-original,
you might as well have an engine that won't cost you seven spitfires
if it needs an overhaul some day.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca