Re: Yeeeeeeee-ha!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Yeeeeeeee-ha!
From: reed mideke <rfm@redshift.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:55:49 -0700
Laura Gharazeddine wrote:
[...]
> I've never had a car with power, cruise control or any of that
> other stuff, so I really don't know-have nothing to compare...
>
> I was thinking of driving as far as Santa Cruz to spend the night
> at my sisters-but thats 7 hours! At least then I would arrive in
> San Francisco in daylight, instead of after dark.

IMHO, driving a spit on long trips is actuallly SAFER than
driving one of those modern luxury boxes. Why ? In a spit you
have to pay attention... It is much easier to 'zone out' if
you are in a quiet sealed box with AC, cruise and power steering.
In a spit, you have the roar of the exhuast and wind, and the
wash from semi's and other large vehicles blow you around the road.
And even if you get 30 MPG, you have to stop for gas quite
often, given how small the tank is.

That said, I wouldn't mind having cruise control before I
take another 900 mile drive. The gas foot gets a cramp
in it after the first 6 or so hours.

Having done it, I wouldn't worry too much about an 8 hour drive.
Stop, stretch, have lunch somewhere (the diner in McKittrick on
30 just outside of Bakersfield has EXCELLENT burgers. A little
bit of americana left from a time before Burger King and McDs.)
[...]

--
Email:               rfm(at)redshift.com or rfm(at)portalofevil.com
Home page:                             http://www.redshift.com/~rfm