Re: Interior Cleaning

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Interior Cleaning
From: "Laura Gharazeddine" <Laura.G@141.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:32:24 -0600

<rachel.dixon@tate.org.uk> wrote:
>>Dear All,
>>
>>I have just bought a 1965 Spitfire MkII with black interior trim

which,
>>although in very good condition, needs a bit of a spruce-up. Can

anyone
>>suggest the best cleaning products to use on the dash / door

panels / seats?

>Practical Classics did a test on a large selection of products a

while ago and their best product was "Vanish Soap."

>That is the hard white stain removing soap, not the spray.
>Work it into a lather with a little water and use it with a nail

brush to really 'deep' clean vinyl.

>It really pulls the dirt out, but leaves the vinyl looking a

little flat. Just go over with Armor-all to restore the shine to

your preference.

>I have successfully cleaned a number of very grimy interiors

using this method.

>The best bit is the price!!!!! Only about a pound for the bar.

far cheaper than vinyl cleaner. It lasts an age too!

>Dean

THanks for the tip on the Vanish Soap-where can one find it?

When I'm prepping for a show, I use Meguiars "Shine" on the vinyl.
I spray it on a cloth first-not near anything. For touch ups
during regular driving, I use the Armour-All wipes-they are *so*
conveniant and neat.

On the dash, with the original wood, I wanted to spiffy it up and
had first thought to redo the wood in burl or something. But when
I decided to keep it, I called the local wood workers club and
they said clean it with Formby's and the oil it. I clean it with
Formby's about once a year (YMMV-my car is driven on a daily
basis, never put the top up and doesn't have a garage-only a
cover)-and I oil it once a week with Old English. I also changed
out all the bezels to chrome-really made a difference! People
actually thought I had a new dash!

I hate tire dressing-and it builds up. Yuck! When I do take the
car to the car wash-about once a month or month and a half, they
put tire dressing on it and I just leave it. If they do get too
"dirty" looking, I use "Edurance" by Meguiars-*very* sparingly, on
a sponge, very lightly.

On the back bumper, where the Monzas blow oil and crap on all that
nice chrome, I use Astro Shield Airplane polish-takes off all that
black gunk so easily! (Also on the monza tips, to make them all
nice and shiny!) And I finish that off with a wipe of Final
Inspection-by (who else?) Meguiars. I love all their products-and
they've started making the most wonderful "magic" polishing cloth.
But it's not in the stores yet!

I haven't wash the carpets-hate the thought of doing that-so I
just keep vac-ing and brushing. I am *very* glad that I bought
rubber floor mats *before* I even "took delivery".

For the polished aluminum on my steering wheel spokes (I had the
grey paint taken off at the metal polishers), I've been using the
Astro Sheild, but I hear that there's a motorcycle shop product
that's better-so I'll be trying that.

For the anodized trim on the rear deck, go to your local gun store
and get some gun blue-great for touching up any little nicks and
scratches on that impossibly difficult anodized trim.

Did I leave anything out?

(Now you all can see why it takes me 5 hours to clean and detail
Nigel!)

Laura G.-and "Nigel"