water pipe fittings - why not brass?

To: NashvilleBritishCars@yahoogroups.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: water pipe fittings - why not brass?
From: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 13:19:08 -0500
In semi-rebuilding my Spitfire motor, I broke a waterpipe that runs from
the back of the water pump along the block under the exhaust manifold to
the back of the motor.

I got a replacement pipe, which is almost the same as the old one, and I
bought a new brass compression bushing to put in the new pipe.

BUT it didn't work.  The pipe leaked even when the motor is not running.

I tightened the fitting, but to no avail.

Then I went to take it apart and the water pipe came right out of the
fitting before I even loosened the nut.  It seems the bushing never
compressing against the pipe.

So I went to the hardware store for a new bushing.  I ended up with a
bushing and a brass doo-hickey that they use for plumbing.

It has the same thread that the original steel fitting and it fits nicely
to the pipe.  The brass fitting is made for use in household plumbing which
withstands about 45 psi, far above the 12 or so psi that the cooling system
handles.

So the question is....

Is there any reason I should not use a brass fitting to attach the water
pipe to the back of the water pump where the original is steel?

Thanks.

Jeff "Almost Ready to Hit the Road" Gruber