Re: Dumb question about timing

To: Earl Smith <earl56@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Dumb question about timing
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 20:57:34 -0400
I think the timing changes were to do with emissions, not because the ignition
was electronic.  Since you're playing with a completely different distributor
though, that really throws it in the creek.  By and large, you normally want no
more then about 30 degrees total maximum advance.  You can set it that way with
the engine revved up to about 3-4 grand.  Then see where it's at during idle.
Run it, listen for pinging.  Advance it enough to hear it ping, and back it down
about 4-6 degrees.  That should be in the ballpark area of "best" performance.